If you’ve researched long enough in St. Joseph County, Indiana, you’ll be familiar with our County Archives.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, this is a goldmine of information that you must check out!
Here are some of the documents they have:
- Marriage Records: from 1830 to about 1989 – includes licenses and applications (not for all years)
- Naturalization Records: Records from 1830’s to 1856
- Probate Estate Indexes 1830-1989
- Traffic and Misdemeanor: For South Bend and Mishawaka – goes from about 1960 to 1990’s
- Court Dockets: From 1899-1990’s – these include civil dockets, criminal dockets, and estate dockets
- Order Books: Includes information from Circuit Court, Court of Common Pleas, Superior Court, and Probate Court – years vary but the earliest start in 1830’s and go to the 1990’s
- And more!
Some documents are restricted and require going through the proper government channels to access. It is recommended to call the archives ahead of time to see if they have what you are looking for and to set up a time to view the document.
There is a copy machine there, but photos and scanners are allowed on some of the documents. As always, ask what is allowed before bringing it in.
St Joseph County Archives & Records Center
1140 S. Lafayette Blvd. South Bend, IN 46601
Phone: 574-235-9091 Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm